Writing the Hawaii Memoir
Author: Darien Gee | Paperback
This invaluable guide and how-to book includes writing tips and inspiration from more than 20 of Hawai'i’s best known writers, teachers, and storytellers. Try all of the 29 writing exercises and writing prompts or choose the ones that interest you the most.
You'll learn how to:
- Recall your life events with purpose
- Take your life experiences and easily organize them into a story
- Discover themes that already exist in your life
- Overcome writer's block and other challenges
- Consider the “warts and all” aspects of storytelling
- Keep motivated and encouraged throughout an enriching and enjoyable experience
- Choose the best way for you to publish or share your memoir
Contributing writers include: Billy Bergin, Pamela Varma Brown, Bob Buss, Lee Cataluna, Ben Cayetano, Stuart Homes Coleman, Craig Howes, Patricia Jennings, Frances Kakugawa, Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl, Beth-Ann Kozlovich, Leslie Lang, Gail Miyasaki, Warren Nishimoto, Mark Panek, Laurie Rubin, Phil Slott, Christine Thomas, David Ulrich, Chris Vandercook and Cedric Yamanaka.
Darien Gee is the national bestselling author of six novels, four written under the pen name Mia King. Her books have sold in 14 countries and are available in hardback, paperback, audio, and digital formats. She has been teaching writing and publication classes, including her popular "Writing the Memoir" and "Memoir Master Class" workshops, for over 15 years in Hawaii and throughout the United States. Darien’s hugely popular North Hawaii News column, "Writer's Corner," has helped thousands of people express their creativity through writing practically anything, including novels, life stories and memoirs.
Winner, Hawai'i Book Publishers Association 2015 Ka Palapala Po'okela Award of Excellence, Special Interest Books